Saturday, January 16, 2010

Morning Sickness

If you have never had morning sickness, I am here to tell you that morning sickness is a REAL medical condition. It is NOT all in your head. Not to be mean, but it is seriously frustrating that there are people that think it is all in your head just because they have never had it before. Please believe me, you would understand if you ever had it.

There is a real medical condition sometimes referred to as morning sickness and it happens to 7 out of 10 pregnant women or to 80% of pregnant women, depending on what source you are reading. So yeah, I guess I just got lucky (yeah right).

When I was pregnant with Christina, I had morning sickness for five weeks. (The worst five weeks of my life by the way). It started roughly about the week after I found out I was pregnant. This time, I had two weeks of bliss. I foolishly thought that either I wasn’t going to get morning sickness this time around or that the worst had happened and I wasn’t really pregnant.

On Friday, November 27th when I woke up from a nap, (I hadn’t gotten any sleep the night before) I could barely move because I felt like my insides were eating me alive. I began to realize that I hadn’t escaped the dreaded morning sickness afterall. Morning sickness was back. And oh how those words do not even possibly convey 1% of the miserable hell it actually puts me through.

So yeah, morning sickness.

Morning sickness makes my stomach feel uneasy permanently or like I have butterflies, it makes me feel nauseas and on the verge of throwing up (or actually throwing up), it is like motion sickness. Every step I take it is a struggle to keep whatever is inside my stomach, still in my stomach. And yet even when my stomach is empty, somehow I still have stuff to throw up (yuck).

On top of always feeling like that, morning sickness makes me feel hungry and yet it also causes me to have no appetite WHATSOEVER. Yes, these two things can happen at the same time, surprisingly. Every THOUGHT of food makes me want to throw up. It takes Jedi Mind tricks to keep from upchucking just from saying the word “food”. And forget about smells. Every tiny little scent makes me want to, well you get it by now right? When I finally do manage to eat something, ANYTHING that I can manage to get down, even if it is just an apple, I immediately feel this horrible I’m about to burst full feeling. And that is on top of the nausea and the butterflies.

The throwing up part is not relief either. It isn't like when you are drunk and you throw up. In those cases, you immediately feel better. Not with morning sickness. When you throw up from morning sickness, you feel worse. It's just awful on top of awful.

So yeah, my body is trying to kill me. At least that is what it feels like. It is as if I am being tortured and put through these trials and tribulations to see if I am worthy of having another child. I must make it through to get to the end . . . a beautiful, wonderful newborn baby.

Unfortunately, the evil morning sickness does not allow me to possibly think of the light at the end of the tunnel. Morning sickness keeps me so miserable and all I wish is that there were some way to escape this torture. Please let the morning sickness go away, please oh please, I want my life back! Because yeah, morning sickness makes me so miserable that I can barely move. Everything I do feels awful. Laying on the couch only breathing doesn’t even make the pain go away.

The absolute only way to dilute morning sickness is to sleep. When I am asleep, I am the happiest person alive! Sadly, I have a job and a husband, oh yeah and let’s not forget my little 16 month old that demands all of my attention when she is awake. All I can say is thank goodness she is asleep by 7pm every night. But boy I wish I didn’t have to work during the day. And yes, going in 2 hours late every day still counts as work. At least I make it there (most days anyway). I did have to take a couple of weeks off during the height of the morning sickness though. Bye-bye PTO (paid time off).

I am now going on two months of morning sickness, so life has been very different lately. Every effort I can muster up goes to the basic necessities of taking care of my daughter. Everything else, well, it is just gonna have to wait until this sickness is gone. Please, oh please, let it go away soon. (Did I say that already?)

Luckily, the last couple of weeks have been slightly better for me during the day. My sickness has it's ups and downs during the day, an hour sick, a few minutes not so sick, and so on. Sadly, once 5pm comes around I feel so horribly sick and it just gets worse as the hours pass. I have tried soooo many different things to help with this, but nothing has worked. All I have left is the hope that it will end soon (do I sound like a broken record yet?).

Ok, sorry to bring you all down. The next post will be a happy one, I promise. I still have xmas pics and videos to share of Christina as well as the ultrasound picture of the new baby :-) By the way, I am officially in the 2nd trimester which is cause for celebration as miscarriage rates are much much lower now! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Leave a comment for this post.