Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Not an easy subject

I keep putting this off, but it is well passed the time that I finally discuss something here.  Delaying the inevitable never really works, does it? 

I know many of you are already well aware that my Step Dad, Gordon, passed away in September, but some of you may not be.  It is a very difficult subject to talk about.  He was a big part of my life and was always there for me when I needed him.  He was a best friend to so many, a caring and concerned Dad to my siblings and I, a loving husband to my Mom, and just a good person in general. 

I think the hardest part about putting it down in writing is that I still say to myself almost daily, "How can he be gone?".  It just doesn't seem real.  Even almost two months later, it just doesn't seem real.  It isn't like it was all that sudden.  He was fighting brain cancer (Glioblastoma) for over two years when it finally took him from us.  For almost the entire time, he seemed completely fine.  He was having surgeries, doing chemo, and participating in a clinical trial but none the less, he was still himself.  He was a figher to say the least.  He lived his life and he enjoyed his life.  He didn't let this ruin the time he had left. 

It was a couple of months before the end that things started to change.  It seemed sudden that he no longer was able to be completely himself.  It quickly got worse and before we all knew it, it was really bad.  Thank goodness, my family and I had the opportunity to be with him towards the end.  It was amazing to see family flying in from all of the world, just to get one last visit.  None of us wanted to let go.

I still keep "seeing" him in my head as he once was and still should be today.  It just makes no sense that someone who had everything going for him, is now just gone.  He is still very much alive in my memories.

I created a photo album for him, which turns out I completed only two days before he passed.  I was hoping he would get the chance to see it beforehand, but it just didn't work out that way.  It is still a very special album and although it doesn't even scratch the surface of his life, it is still a nice way to remember him.  You can take a look at it here:

Click here to view this photo book larger
Turn your favorite photos into a photo book at Shutterfly.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Leave a comment for this post.