Sunday, May 15, 2011

I still want to see the rest of the movie though

A few days ago when we got home from school early (daycare and work), Christina wanted to put on a movie.  Monsters vs Aliens was on demand and I was interested.  I know it is a kids movie, so I thought it would be ok for her.  I didn't think Christina would actually watch it, I thought it would more or less be on in the background.  Well, the first ten minutes of the movie, Christina watched, she really watched.

Have you ever seen the movie?  In the beginning, a girl gets hit by a meteor and then gets really really big (like a giant).  It freaked Christina out so bad that she yelled, "Turn it off Mommy!  Turn it off!"  I felt really bad, but figured that it would be ok once I turned it off.  Unfortunately I was wrong. 

Ever since then, Christina keeps talking about getting bigger and growing up.  She tells me "I don't want to grow up" and "I don't want to get bigger".  She talks about the girl getting bigger and asks if I am going to get bigger, if she is going to get bigger, etc.  I tried to explain that the movie was pretend and that although we are all going to grow up and get bigger, we won't get that big.  I also tried to make it all funny by making fun of the people in the movie that were screaming and running from the giant.  I told her no one wants to grow up and I sang the Toys-R-Us song.  I even went the route of explaining that if she didn't grow up, she wouldn't have a birthday or a birthday cake or birthday presents.  Nothing seemed to help.  She even woke up in the middle of the night and wanted to sleep with us.  The first thing she said was "I don't want to get bigger".

My poor baby.  I traumatized her!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Leave a comment for this post.