Monday, June 16, 2008

Of course this would happen to me

I've been working so hard on the baby's room. I've done so much planning and designing and wouldn't you know it, as soon as I started putting the crib together I realized that things were not going to work out as I had planned. Just my luck.

First, I realized that a screw was missing from the hardware included with the crib. I called the store and they told me I had to come into the store to get the replacement screw. They refused to mail it to me. Considering I live an hour away, this was not good news. I'm not going to be able to get there for a couple of weeks, which is really disappointing.

But then I realized I could set the crib up in the room temporarily, even without the screw. Since it is only one screw, the crib is able to at least stand without it. So, for the time being, I can get an idea of how everything will look. Of course I won't put any bedding on it, but I can put the mattress in and put it in it's place in the room. Then when I get the screw, I can finish the job.

Realizing that I could still get a visual of the room (without the screw) made me feel a little better . . . until I actually got the crib in the spot I designated for it.

It looks horrible! My poor child has a 6.5 x 6.5 room that use to be a hallway and closet but was made into a room of some sort before Nik and I bought this condo. It has no windows, no closets, and two doors. TWO doors and NO windows. Plus the room isn't exactly a square. Part of it jots out towards the door and that space is basically useless. So, I'm dealing with very little wall space even if I decide to block one of the doors.

There is no other way to look at it, the room is just too small for the crib and the changing table. Those were the only two pieces of furniture that I wanted in there, but no, I don't think it is going to work.

I tried five different arrangements and they all look bad for one reason or another. I need a second opinion of course, but for now, I'm just really disappointed. I think my only real option is to give up the changing table. That sucks for three reasons, 1. I worked really hard on painting it white and my work would go to waste, 2. I wouldn't be able to use the bins that I bought and decorated to go on the shelves of the changing table, and 3. I would have to buy a changing station that mounts on the wall which means more money to spend (plus it won't look as nice).

I'm so sad and frustrated :-( And now I'm going to go to bed and try not to worry about this again until at least tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Leave a comment for this post.